In this monsterrific episode, Curt and Kevin embark on their most spine-tingling, bone-chilling installment yet, as they investigate not one but two monster tales from comicdom’s king of creepy-crawly creatures, Jack Kirby!
First, it’s a trip to Anytown, USA, where a mild-mannered biologist must match wits with an interplanetary tyrant of the trees (and future Guardian of the Galaxy) in “I Challenged … Groot! The Monster From Planet X!” from Tales to Astonish #13, published by Marvel Comics!
Then it’s off to the mysterious Wild Area, as the Man of Steel and his best buddy go toe-to-toe with a Four-Armed Terror and a very familiar-looking green giant in Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen, #133-138, published by DC Comics!
Will this lord of lumber and a pair of irradiated uglies find themselves treat-less on destiny’s doorstep? Or by some terrible trick, can they fright their way into that howl of fang-tastic tales known as … The Comics Canon?
Things Discussed in This Episode:
- Jack Kirby, King of Monsters
- Groot, overlord of all the timber in the galaxy!
- So … why Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen?
- Appealing to the hip young counterculture of 1970
- “The Whiz Wagon”? Really?
- Jimmy Olsen vs. Superman
- The Mountain of Judgment: Not ideal for keeping on the D.L.
- So … why clone Superman’s pal, Jimmy Olsen?
- “It Is One Minute to Blow-Up!”
Join us in next week for a special election season one-shot as we debate Yuge! 30 Years of Doonesbury on Trump!