In this episode, Curt and Kevin travel from war-torn Latveria to Civil War-torn Manhattan as they tackle not one but two stories starring Marvel Comics’ invulnerable sentinel of the streets, Luke Cage, in anticipation of the Netflix series of the same name!
First, it’s a fantastic voyage to the swingin’ 70s, as the hot-headed hero of Harlem jets halfway across the globe to collect a debt from a stingy supervillain in Luke Cage: Hero for Hire #8-9!
Then we move ahead to the 2000s for a moving confrontation between Cage and his wife Jessica Jones in New Avengers #38!
Will domestic drama and a penny-pinching Doctor Doom leave our indestructible do-gooder destitute? Or can our harried hero for hire earn his way into that executive suite known as … The Comics Canon?
Things Discussed in This Episode:
- “Thanks, Evil Racist Prison Guard!”
- Soul Train
- Check your white European privilege, Doctor Doom!
- Victor von Doom: cheapskate?
- Reed Richards is pretty generous with his rockets
- “Where’s my money, honey?”
- The one flaw in Doctor Doom’s armor
- Brian Michael Bendis and his detractors
Join us in two weeks to discover the mysterious link between “I Challenged Groot! The Monster From Planet X” (Tales to Astonish #13) and Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #133-138!