In this episode, Curt and Kevin dig deep into the fertile soil of The Saga of the Swamp Thing issues 21-24! In this tangled tale of fearsome flora, Alan Moore puts DC’s mixed-up muck monster through an existential crisis that plants the seeds of a new era in superhero comics.
Will the flowery prose stylings of comics’ 800-lb. gorilla bog these issues down in the backwater of forgotten four-color flotsam? Or is this story of identity, rebirth and reinvention just bloomin’ brilliant enough to let our mythic marsh man put down roots in that pistil-packin’ parliament of pulp periodicals known as … The Comics Canon?
Things discussed in this episode:
- The best single-issue story in comics history???
- The hinky science of superhero comics
- Swamp Thing, The Plant That Thinks It’s a Man!
- “Alan Morgue,” Tales From the Crypt and E.C. Comics
- “Uglier than Death backin’ outta the outhouse readin’ MAD Magazine and crazier than a football bat!”
- Word of the Day: Epistrophe!
- All this and … The Correction That Wasn’t!
You can listen to the episode via the player above, or on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Stitcher. And join us in two weeks as we sneak out of our bedroom windows for the mosques, convenience stores and high school hallways of Jersey City to decide whether Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal merits a passing grade!