In this episode, Curt and Kevin celebrate their two-year podcasting anniversary with a special birthday two-fer, as they discuss the classic Superman birthday story For The Man Who Has Everything by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons from Superman Annual #11, published by DC Comics, as well as its animated adaptation from Justice League Unlimited!
Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman arrive at Superman’s arctic hideaway to wish him a happy birthday, but find the Man of Steel immobilized by a sinister-looking plant known as the Black Mercy. Before they can figure out a plan of action, they’re confronted by the alien warlord Mongul, who reveals that Superman has been put into a coma, dreaming of an idyllic existence as a husband, father and geologist on his home planet of Krypton!
Can our overmatched heroes stop Mongul from conquering the Earth? Can the Man of Tomorrow wake up from his seductive fantasy in time to save them? And can this fearless foursome gain entry into that Fortress of Solitude known as … The Comics Canon?
Things Discussed in This Episode:
- The Silver Age and the Bronze Age
- The kiss that hasn’t aged well
- Kevin can’t pronounce “fetishization”
- Curt’s love for Justice League Unlimited
- How much cash do you give Superman for his birthday?
- Hey, is that Mike Farrell?
- For the Girl Who Has Everything
- What IS Ninja?
- Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
- DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore
Join us in two weeks as we prepare for the release of the hotly anticipated Black Panther adaptation with a discussion of Black Panther: The Client, by Christopher Priest and Mark Texeira!