In this episode, Curt and Kevin welcome your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man to the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a pair of powerful Spidey Super Stories! First up, they swing into action with a discussion of one of the most famous comic stories of all time: the origin of Spider-Man in Amazing Fantasy #15!
After that, it’s on to an action-packed tale of great power and great responsibility (and one of the most iconic scenes in superhero comics), as a guilt-ridden wall-crawler fights against impossible odds to save the life of his beloved Aunt May in the three-part storyline If This Be My Destiny …! from Amazing Spider-Man #31-33!
Can the winded web-slinger prevail against the machinations of the mysterious Master Planner? And can he survive the cutthroat halls of academia long enough to win a ticket to that homecoming dance known as … The Comics Canon?
Things Discussed in This Episode:
- Actor Frank Nelson
- Are you obliged to stop a thief?
- The Acme Warehouse
- Spider-Man’s Uncanny Valley moment
- Marvel: The Untold Story
- Peter Parker’s true calling: costume design!
- To Alcohol!
- Kid Puncho, the Fighting Clown
- Kind words from The Nerds Uncanny
- Thor Frog from Walt Simonson’s Thor #365
- The Hood: Blood From Stones
- The Return of Beta Ray Bill
- Give Our Regards to the Atom-Smashers!
- Kraven’s Last Hunt
- Kevin’s essay on Secret Empire at Vex Mosaic
- Curt’s review of Spider-Man: Homecoming
Join us next week for a look at the year in Marvel movie and TV adaptations (so far), and then again the week after that for a discussion of the dark side of geekdom via Evan Dorkin’s The Eltingville Club!