In this episode, “Miller March” kicks off with a bang as Curt and Kevin don their surgical scrubs to dissect Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, writer/artist Frank Miller’s celebrated deconstruction of everyone’s favorite Caped Crusader.
Gotham City is an operating table, and Batman … is the surgeon. But can this alternate-future take on DC Comics’ Dark Knight Detective, built like a brick house and meaner than a pack of junkyard dogs, fight off hordes of mutant gangsters and depraved psychopaths to rule the mean streets of comic-book supremacy known as … The Comics Canon?
Things discussed in this episode:
- The pro-vigilante stance of pretty much every superhero comic ever published
- Batman: The Monster Movie
- The “Hitler mustache” and sandals = an unsympathetic character
- James Gordon: Worst police commissioner ever?
- The prevalence of end-of-the-world street protesters in ’80s comics
- The Joker as David Bowie
- Superman, the Straw Man of Steel!
- Curt sounds off on fan reaction to Batman v Superman trailers
- And we get our first iTunes review!
Things NOT discussed in this episode:
Join us in two weeks as we somersault across the rooftops of Hell’s Kitchen to reach a verdict in the case of The Comics Canon v. Daredevil: Born Again!