In this episode, Curt and Kevin are joined by guest vocalist Ryan Lucas as they discuss the first two volumes of the Scott Pilgrim series: Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, written and drawn by Bryan Lee O’Malley and published by Oni Press!
Scott Pilgrim, aimless 23-year-old bassist for Toronto band Sex Bob-Omb, is dating 17-year-old high school student Knives Chau when he falls hard for delivery girl Ramona Flowers. But in order to date her, he’ll have to break up with Knives—and, oh yeah, defeat seven of Ramona’s exes in hand-to-hand combat!
Can Scott get his act together long enough to help Sex Bob-Omb score a prestigious gig opening for his ex-girlfriend Envy Adams—and vanquish the League of Ramona’s Evil Ex-Boyfriends? And can he book himself and the band into that Great Gig in the Sky known as … The Comics Canon?
Things Discussed in This Episode:
- Is Scott Pilgrim kind of a jerk?
- Do these books pass the Bechdel Test?
- The Flying Burrito Brothers’ Gilded Palace of Sin
- Is Kevin really Scott Pilgrim?
- Curt hates the name of our letters segment
- Our first negative review
- Random House vs. Houghton Mifflin
- Zot! The Complete Black and White Collection: 1987-1991
- Kamikaze Vol. 1: Run Rabbit Run (support the Kickstarter for Vol. 2!)
- Love and Rockets: Maggie the Mechanic
Join us in two weeks as we discuss another fictional league—Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!