In this episode, Curt and Kevin get ready for the new Guardians of the Galaxy film by taking a rocket ride to the Kree homeworld for a look at the comic-book origins of this cinematic band of space-faring misfits, as seen in Annihilation: Conquest – Star-Lord #1-4, published by Marvel Comics!
But first, they make a brief 1,000-year detour to the far future to check in with the stalwart 30th-century star warriors who started it all, as the original Guardians of the Galaxy (including a certain blue-skinned guy you might recognize from the movies) band together in 1969’s Marvel Super-Heroes #18!
Can the original Guardians repel the (not terribly menacing) menace of the invading Badoon? Can their modern-day counterparts foil the (not-so-fearsome) Phalanx and save the galaxy from cybernetic assimilation? Most importantly, can these cosmic champions blast their way into that interplanetary posse of space cowboys known as … The Comics Canon?
Things Discussed in This Episode:
- We need to talk about Yondu
- Steve Gerber, Bill Mantlo, Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin
- Annihilation: Conquest
- The Borg—We mean, the Phalanx
- Bug’s speech patterns explained
- A talking Groot!?!
- Star-Lord’s lame password game
- Space profanity
- The name of our Canon Fodder segment
- Curt reacts to our latest iTunes review
- Justice League International
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Legacy
- Nova by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
- The Micronauts
- What’s your favorite space comic?
Join us in two weeks as we journey to fabled Asgard to meet the newest wielder of Mjolnir with a discussion of Thor Vol. 1: Goddess of Thunder!