In this episode, Curt and Kevin embark on a dazzling journey from the stuffy confines of an exclusive NewYork club to the famed “blue area” of the moon (the No. 1 lunar tourist attraction!) as they struggle to decide the fate of Uncanny X-Men issues 132-137: The Dark Phoenix Saga!
The Hellfire Club, a cabal of wealthy, power-hungry Hamilton cosplayers, mentally manipulate Jean Grey, aka the godlike Phoenix, to help them capture her fellow X-Men. But in doing so, they unwillingly unleash a force of cosmic destruction—the Dark Phoenix, who promptly snacks on a star and earns the wrath of a mighty intergalactic empire.
Will this Black Angel destroy the man she loves, her teammates, and possibly the entire universe? Or can our band of merry mutants win the day and cement their spot in the fiery firmament of funnybooks known as … The Comics Canon?
Things Discussed in This Episode:
- The earliest Wolverine fan art known to man!
- Why we’re not discussing X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
- X-Men comics in the 90s: All a terrible dream?
- Cyborgs, dominatrixes: The Hellfire Club doesn’t discriminate
- Wolverine channels his inner Clint Eastwood
- “I challenge you to a duel! X-Men, go fight that duel!”
- Why Iceman has the lowest self-esteem of the original X-Men
- Jean Grey’s heroic sacrifice is undone
Join us in two weeks as we pay tribute to the late Darwyn Cooke with a discussion of his signature miniseries event, DC: The New Frontier!